Recruitment specialist becomes a ‘people first’ Modern Business with Microsoft hybrid technologies
By Marc Tobias, Co-Founder and Director, DMJ RecruitmentDMJ Recruitment is a true ‘people business’ in every sense. Building long-standing relationships with clients, candidates, staff and partners is a principle that comes from the founders themselves and lies at the heart of their approach. DMJ has quickly become renowned as the expert in talent recruitment and development for the legal and company secretarial sectors and co-founder, Marc Tobias, has been spearheading its transformation into the ultimate ‘Modern Business’.
Like many small businesses, DMJ introduces new processes over time as the team expands, but the ageing IT tools had been struggling to match the pace of the business. With 80% of the team client-facing and a portfolio of around 600 clients, the average day at DMJ is fast-paced and changeable. Juggling regular client contact, ongoing candidate liaison and new business generation is standard practice, so mobile working is an inevitable part of everyone’s day. It’s no wonder therefore that with a basic IT system comprising Outlook and shared folders on Windows Server 2003, communication and productivity tasks were becoming slow and awkward. End of support for Windows Server 2003 gave them an additional challenge of how the business could be safeguarded moving forward.
Marc recalls “In our business speed and communication is vital – the IT tools were starting to creak and I was conscious that they were beginning to limit us. The age profile of people entering our business is quite young and we have talented people with families who want to work from home. Only the best technology can entice and attract them to join us and stay with us. The tools we had couldn’t adapt enough to people’s individual circumstances and working styles.”
DMJ’s Chosen Solution
As part of a physical move to new offices, Marc looked at what technology was required to deliver the 5-10 year business goals. Having been previously unconvinced about the suitability of the cloud, Microsoft partner RedPixie demonstrated the immediate business value of a hybrid Microsoft solution made up of Office 365 for Midsize Business, Lync as a Phone Service, Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure, System Center 2012 R2 and Microsoft Intune, accompanied by Windows 8 Phones and Surface Pro 2 Tablets.
With email, documents, Office applications and instant messaging available in the cloud on all devices, DMJ now have uncompromised IT capability wherever they work. SharePoint provides the team with a central point to store documents and work together. It also hosts the company intranet which keeps everyone up-to-date and provides a friendly, informative induction portal for new employees. OneDrive delivers personal document storage and private team folders for HR purposes. For the first time, extended teams outside of the company domain also enjoy full access to in-house documents and systems without the need to be physically onsite. A hybrid server environment hosts legacy applications on-premise with cloud delivery of Active Directory, all monitored and managed securely by System Center 2012 R2 and Microsoft Intune.
“The new system is fast and entirely geared to helping the staff do their best. It has made a real impact on our delivery – there are more calls being made and more collateral going out to clients. The team at RedPixie have given us a solution that was right for our business with a seamless transition. Their advice, customer service and support has been incredible.” Marc comments.
Main Benefits for DMJ Recruitment
Productive working anywhere
- Nokia Lumia Windows Phones have replaced Blackberry’s for seamless mobile working with instant email, Office applications and Lync for instant messaging
- Remote systems access to Windows Server 2012 R2, Azure and Microsoft Intune ensure that critical IT management tasks can also be completed remotely as require
- Lync telephony services enable business calls to be answered from anywhere in the world
- Teams can work together on documents wherever they are with OneDrive
- Surface Pro 2 tablets provide staff with a single productivity device which is lightweight, easy to use and as powerful as a laptop
- SharePoint and OneDrive enable information to be located and accessed quickly and content to be co-authored efficiently in real-time wherever the team are situated
- Faster and simplified communications processes mean that increased customer and candidate contact can be made which is directly impacting business results
- A SharePoint Intranet helps new employees get up and running fast with induction information, HR documents and team specific content
- Modern tools and devices which are fast and easy-to-use enable DMJ Recruitment to attract new talent into the business
- Greater management visibility into individual activity allows staff to be positively mentored on performance improvements and career progression
Customer and partner connection
- Instant messaging through Lync has reduced internal email volume and inbox management time ensuring email is only used for external customer communication
- SharePoint external access allows virtual marketing teams to access documents and business information for swift task completion
- Faster response times and a more personalised service has increased client satisfaction and deepened customer relationships
- As more legal firms move to the Cloud, working with common IT tools enables DMJ to retain customers and win new business
- Increased ability for staff to work from home has enabled DMJ to attract talent from remote parts of the country and accelerate plans for regional expansion
- With no downtime or disruption to the business, the efficiencies of the new IT platform enable DMJ to serve a greater volume of customers than was previously possible
- A lean server platform with Windows Server 2012 R2 and Azure allows DMJ to balance workloads across on-premise and cloud environments with the ability to scale quickly and cost effectively in the future
Marc’s Favourite Features
“I’m using OneDrive a lot – I can be at home with family, pulling down documents from work or personal folders without having to use email. For a director who needs to be involved all the time I’m getting more done and it’s given me lots of time back with my family. My Surface Pro 2 tablet is a very clever piece of kit! It’s easy to use, so light when I am travelling around, and I no longer need a separate laptop and tablet.”
- Customer Name:
Office 365 for Midsize Business, Lync, Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure, System Center 2012 R2 and Microsoft Intune and Microsoft Devices
- Customer Website:
DMJ Recruitment is a true ‘people business’ in every sense. Building long-standing relationships with clients, candidates, staff and partners is a principle that comes from the founders themselves and lies at the heart of their approach. DMJ has quickly become renowned as the expert in talent recruitment and development for the legal and company secretarial sectors and co-founder, Marc Tobias, has been spearheading its transformation into the ultimate ‘Modern Business’.
“Our business is all about trust and delivery. We now have the tools to deliver excellent service, attract the best people to the business and work in ways that suit us individually – Microsoft has made all that possible. I won’t have to look at updating our IT systems for at least another 10 years so I can now focus on running the business rather than running IT.”
– Marc Tobias, Co-Founder and Director, DMJ Recruitment